Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cheap and easy bike rack (for cars with spoilers)

About a year ago I went to Fort Wayne's Summit City Bicycle and Fitness to check out a bike rack for my car. I gave them the make and model of my car and they showed me the racks that would fit. The cheapest one they had was shaped a lot like this one below, but not as nice.

The bike rack they showed me costs around $160.  It looks cheap and is made entirely of plastic. I spent $40 on my bike, and there was no way I was going to spend 4 times that on a rack. I realized that I could make a bike rack myself that also looked cheap, was also made of plastic, but would cost much less.



Here is my bike rack. My brother, dad and I put this rack together on an afternoon and spent about $25. If your car has a spoiler like mine does, you can use a rack design like this one and save some money yourself.









We used:
15 ft of 3/4 inch PVC pipe
8 3/4 PVC slip tees
2 wire hooks
about 20 feet of nylon strap
PVC cleaning solution
PVC glue


Here is an exploded diagram. Every joint here is glued tightly, except at the places shown, which forms a hinge that allows the rack to fold. You'll want to make your own measurements so the rack fits your car, and your bike. This bike rack is 20 inches wide (this is too wide for some bikes) and the legs are about 2 feet long from the hinge. The bike sits on wire hooks that screw into the outermost slip tees of the hinge.





To attach the rack to the car, I put two of the legs of the rack underneath the spoiler of the car, with the other two legs standing on the bumper. To secure the rack, I used nylon strap with a hook on one end. I throw the hook end into the trunk, close the lid, and pull the strap tight. (You could also just tie a large knot in the strap instead of using a hook.) I have another length of strap, with a loop in it, tied to the inside of the top of the trunk lid. I use these straps to tie down the bicycle and keep the rack from moving or falling off the bumper. The excess strap is used to keep the front bike tire from flopping around in the wind.

I'd be happy to hear any design suggestions you have for this rack, or if you have other designs for other cars you can send them to me at joshuabfitzgerald (at) gmail.

Tips and tricks:

  • I used a combination of 3/4 and 1/2 inch PVC, but the 1/2 inch legs seemed a bit wobbly. You may want to use 3/4 or even 1 inch pipe if you want it to be sturdier or if you have a heavy bike. 
  • The PVC may scratch your vehicle. You could get rubber ends for the legs to prevent this.
  • If you want to make your rack look less....homemade...you could always spraypaint it black.
  • For added stability I often use two bungee cords that go from the top tube of the bike and hook onto the spoiler. If the PVC were sturdier (i.e., I used thicker pipe) I probably wouldn't need these. Better safe than sorry, though.

Some more photos:
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with your blog. Which is obvious by the fact that I comment on each post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not absolutely so accurate or your car has taken lots of corruption from cartage and pets, your car will be searching like new with a few new habits and bargain purchases.

    Second Hand Cars in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also looking into making my own bike rack for my car using PVC piping.

    Did you ever consider the possibility of it breaking apart somehow while driving?

    I am slightly afraid of that. Please let me know how its doing.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fears are warranted: this model broke apart after a few long trips with the bike on it. Thankfully, I used enough straps and bungee cords that it was not possible for the bike to "fall off" of the car, even when the rack itself broke. I have not attempted to make a new one yet, but I think the general idea is still valid: maybe using PVC that is thicker or of higher grade is necessary. Maybe the rack needs a complete redesign. If you make one yourself that works better than this one did, I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  5. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! Best Mountain Bikes Under $500

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. Best Mountain Bikes Under $500

    ReplyDelete